Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Social grants: a bane on progress

South Africa is a complex society faced with complex challenges. Among them our biggest wound, unemployment.
In my mind the economy appears lop sided, limping along, trying hard to fix this wound and only managing to pacify the pain. Temporarily.

Enter the social grant system. I remain undecided about its efficacy and whether there is indefinite room for it.

One of our staff told me of a woman who was waiting for her child’s grant money so she could fix her hair.
Last week there was a story on the news about a woman who had abandoned her children and yet continued to chow their money while her 19 year old daughter fended for her three siblings.

While these stories may only make a very small minority of families who depend on the social grant for their existence they do raise questions.

A while ago Wife Swap had an episode where a family living on the dole swapped wives with a hard working farming family.
The farmer who got up every single morning before the sun was up made about the same amount of money a month this non working family received from the government.
Nothing is free – there is always someone footing the bill.

For me it is not about my hard earned money going into tax from which these social grants are funded (I believe very strongly that we as humans are responsible for one another) it's about whether we're fostering pride in people that comes from being self sustaining.

The reason I believe it is far better to give than to receive is because if you're giving it means you're at the higher end of the chart.

However there is no shame in receiving - but it must only be for a while.
My family fell on some really hard times and I am so grateful for people who gave us shelter, food and sometimes even money until we got back on our feet.
There must be a defined period for which a person is on the receiving end because always having a hand out erodes something in one's soul.

The unemployment issue in this country cannot be ignored. It is real and it exists.
Perhaps also the access to market for entrepreneurs is still a road under construction.
In the same breath I do wonder whether or not social grants keep the poor poor and thus a continuous drain on resources that could otherwise be used for more productive ways to develop our country.
If this be the case then perhaps social grants should come with a strategy with each disbursement that will end up with self sustenance for the recipient and thus a deadline for how long the grant will be given.

My hope for South Africa, Zambia and the rest of the African continent is to see an end to poverty driven by our innovation and us realizing our potential as a people.
I doubt that will come from us always being on the receiving end of the economy.
At the moment all I’ve said is opinion but I do prefer having an informed decision which is what moneymula.com is about.
So I’m on the search for information that will help me come to a conclusion I can be confident in and thus work towards.

In the meantime do read Baz’ blog. It’s hilarious and may echo sentiments some of you may have.
Keep in mind he is talking about the UK and not South Africa.
Happy reading.

Dole money entitlement
...I feel quite strongly about the unemployment issue. Fair enough, if somebody is GENUINELY seeking work and wants a job, but are struggling to find one, I sympathise. Naturally, I’m not against people with genuine illness or mental illness either. For the rest…. they need to be made to work for their "free" money. To read more go to
http://www.ukcentral.co.uk/rants/opinions/dole-money-entitlement.html

No comments:

Post a Comment